August 9, 2010

Day Nine

So I had to take a picture of one of my favorite things! Its a Sweetgrass Basket. I love my roots from the South and I LOVE Charleston and all the history down there. Ever since first visiting Charleston when I was very little, I have always wanted a Sweetgrass basket. And I finally got one in March 2010! :D Alex and I went to visit my dad and I of course had to take him to see Charleston! We ate at the famous Hymans Seafood for dinner and then took a walk in the open Charleston Market. They have everything you can imagine there, mostly everything is home made (a craft passed down for hundreds of years!); including the sweetgrass baskets! I found the perfect basket and I bought it. I finally have one of the most admiral pieces of art and history; weaved into a perfect, great smelling basket!




This design is called an "Elephant Ear Basket." I asked her how long it took her to make it and she said this one took sixteen hours. I admire this craft so much!!! I think it is truly amazing!

Here is a link in case you would like to know more about these beautiful baskets!

http://www.visitsoutherncomfort.com/sweetgrasbas.html

4 comments:

  1. OMG
    I am from Charleston. I love it there, and the little ladies who make the sweetgrass baskets are so cute and sweet!
    Plus Hymans is amazing : )

    So cool reading about this! Its like a little piece of my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome! :) I love Charelston SOOO much!!! If we could afford it (and if Alex would ever want to move away from his family :( ) we would live down there! When I was little I always wanted to live in Charleston!!!

    ReplyDelete